The path to open doors and expand your calling
You feel a sense of urgency to increase your ability to serve as a Chaplain. You are motivated to excel in your calling, but you lack the needed credentialing and feel like you’re missing opportunities.
Introducing the Advanced Chaplain Certification
How to apply for the Advanced Chaplain Credentialing:
- Download the PDF application below
- Print it and fill it out
- Send your completed application including payment information to:
International Fellowship of Chaplains
PO Box 1004
Temple, TX 76503-6130
Advanced Chaplain FAQs
What will I receive after completing the application requirements?
Advanced Chaplains will receive a unique ID card listing the specialties you are qualified for.
Additionally, you can pursue Advanced Chaplain Specialization in the areas of First Responder Chaplaincy, Community Chaplaincy, and Disaster Chaplaincy by attending the additional training courses and other requirements listed for each specialty.
What are the specialities I can apply for as an Advanced Chaplain?
Advanced Chaplain Specialties
Advanced Chaplain credentials are a prerequisite for all specialties.
DR (Disaster Response) Chaplain
- ICS 100 – Introduction to Incident command system (FEMA.gov)
- ICS 200 – Basic Incident Command System for Initial Response (FEMA.gov)
- IS 700 – Introduction to the National Incident Management System/ NIMS (FEMA.gov)
- IS 800 – National Response Framework, An Introduction (FEMA.gov)
- Emotional and Spiritual Care in Disasters (ICISF)
- Strategic Response to Crisis (ICISF)
- Mental Health First Aid (Mental Health Association)
- Crisis Care in Cultural and Religious Diversity (CRC)
- Suicide Prevention, Intervention and Postvention (ICISF)
- Trauma Impact on the Family (CRC)
- Certificate of completion of a Citizens Police, Fire or Sheriff’s Academy;
Or professional identification of Active First Responder
Or professional identification of Retired First Responder
- Line of Duty Death: Preparing the Best for the Worst (ICISF or CRC)
- Stress Management for the Trauma Service Provider (ICISF)
- Suicide Prevention, Intervention, Postvention (ICISF)
- A minimum of 8 hours of service within the selected Specialty
- A one-page reflection paper on your experience serving within that Specialty
Do I have to renew? What are the requirements for renewal?
Advanced Chaplain standing is renewable every 3 years for $100 with completion of 14 hours of Continuing Education in content relevant to Chaplaincy, over the 3-year period.
Chaplains will be able to choose where to receive their continuing education, but the certificate they are awarded must relate to Chaplaincy, a topic that is relevant to their area of Chaplaincy, or a skill that will enhance their Chaplaincy and the certificate must include the agency, list the contact hours for the course, and must have a representative’s signature from the training agency to count toward renewal.
There is also an additional 7 hours of CEUs required for every specialty being renewed.
Does this replace my annual Chaplain license renewal?
The Advanced Chaplain Credential does not replace your annual Chaplain License renewal. It is in addition to their current license and provides more opportunities and access as a Chaplain.
What are the advantages of getting the Advanced Chaplain Certification?
- Receiving recognition for the advanced training that you have done.
- Focusing your continuing education on a demonstrated pathway that is directly applicable to assisting people in crisis.
- Demonstrating an advanced ability to respond to people that need a Chaplain’s help.
- For those that take advantage of Manna University’s credentialing, receiving an academically bestowed credential that is appropriate to use behind your name and signature.